Saturday 9 April 2016

Letter - 9 April 1916 - in garrison at Sollum

Athol writes home to mother. He is in garrison at Sollum but there does not appear to be a great deal of action.



No2 Company
Imperial Camel Corps
Sollum
9-4-16

Dear Mater,

I wrote to Pater a few days ago in which I thanked you for two parcels of clothing and one of food. (I don't have the letters Athol sent to his step-father).

Nothing has happened here at all the last week or two.

One of our officers is at work making a map of the country hereabouts as the ones in use are incorrect all roads.

As expected ....M.P. to arrived today with a cargo of gifts from the war chest funds, but he didn't put in an appearance, perhaps he'll arrive tomorrow. 

Just had supper ... a cake and a mug of tea, cost 5 1/2 PT = 1/3.

It's been dusty all day but its quite still now and quite cold. By the end of this month it will be getting pretty warm I expect.

If we are going to remain here I will try and get leave and get some thin clothes. The only difficulty will be the washing as of course there are only military here and no laundries. There is an Indian Mountain Battery through and I expect they have a 'dhoby' or two. There is nothing to write of so good bye.

Love to Aunt Puff and Pater.

Yours lovingly,

Athol




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...