Monday 25 April 2016

Letter - 7 April 1916

Athol writes home to his step-father, Guy Sherwood. Guy was sending Athol sporting magazines regularly and Athol seemed to enjoy this news from home. The weather starts to warm up and parcels still get through to the remote outpost of Sollum with food and clothes - although the singles are too small.




Dear Pater,

Many thanks for your letter of 4.2.16.

We are still sitting here doing practically northing except a couple of patrols daily. Also one officer with a party is making a sketch map of the country round here. It is starting to warm up but I hear that this is the coolest spot in Egypt and so far we have had a nice sea breeze every day. 

Last Monday we had a visit from Henly MP of the Citizens War Chest Fund and he said he would come back as soon as possible with stuff for us all. I saw 1933 in Cairo one day, but he didn't recognise me. 

We have a couple of planes stationed here so perhaps the kid will get out this way. It's fine country for flying. Please let the Mater know I received those parcels of clothing etc. Tell her the singlets are just A1 but too small on the neck as I have to cut them to get may head through. Also I have plenty of thick shirts for the present and don't expect to need any more for some time.
Also the tins of food came which assisted the mess to a great extent. Thank her for me. 

Remember me to anyone I know. 

Love to Mater and aunts.

Yours very sincerely, 

Athol G. Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...