Friday 1 April 2016

Letter - 1 April 1916 - Sollum and rumours

Athol writes home to mother. The 2nd Camel Company is part of the garrison force at Sollum. He hears a rumour that the 1st and 2nd Division of the AIF (including his old unit the 5th Battalion) are heading to France.



No2 Company
Imperial Camel Corps
Sollum
1-4-16

Dear Mater,

Still here. There is a mail here but it isn't sorted yet so I do't know how I've fared. I got another tin of food stuff dated 5.1.16 but no more letters. 

Captain Parker has gone back to Abbassia and once more I'm doing a fatigue command though perhaps this time I'll be left to it. He made a bit of a mess of things and so for the third time since I've been in the AIF I've got a laugh to sort.

We have done nothing except routine work since we have been here. This Company is .... to be part of the garrison here. Sollum is said to be the coolest places in Egypt in summer which is a blessing though except for the sea it is the only one.

The South Africans are going away a few at a time owing to the difficulty of transport and two regiments Middlesex are coming here to replace them.

Rumour says the 1st and 2nd Div AIF are en route for France.

Love to Pater and Aunt Puff and all enquiring friends.

Just got them to get the mail.

Yours lovingly,

Athol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...