Wednesday 8 July 2015

Letter - 9 July 1915 - thanks mother for letters and parcels

Athol writes to his mother in Melbourne. He thanks her for the letters and parcels although it seems many have gone missing. He mentions receiving the Australiasian and Referee from his stepfather, Guy Sherwood, whom he refers to as 'Pater'. 



Gallipoli
9.7.15 
Dear Mater, 
Many thanks for '13' of 1.6.15 which arrived today. Also for the two parcels which haven't come to hand yet though. I'm hoping they will as I want a sponge. It's wonderful how little water one can get a wash in with one.  
The back letters haven't come to light yet. I had a letter from a Marian Gillian from England. She says she's a great friend of yours and that she knew me 13 years ago. I suppose she might. 
There is really nothing doing here at present. There were a few shells going over today but not at our particular part of the trench and our guns seemed to silence theirs after a bit. 
I got one Australasian and Referee today of 22.5.15. Please thank Pater. Also a letter from Aunt May, Fos, and Dave. Please excuse the scrawl but it is nearly dark and I can hardly see what I'm writing. I'd like to see Pater and the two Uncles doing extended work on a nice thristy paddock. 
I'll have to close as I can't see any more. I'll write longer next time. 
Yours lovingly,
Athol 
P.S. Please thank Miss Paterson for the socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...