Saturday 18 July 2015

Letter - 14 July 1915 - 6" shells, censoring letters, rolling cigarettes

Athol writes to his mother in Melbourne. This is the longest letter so far. He writes about his job censoring letters for 'D' company, the 15 pounders and 6" shells which lob into the trenches regularly and the respirators issued in case of a gas attack. Cigarettes are issued to the men and also a supply of cigarette paper and tobacco but Athol says he is not good at rolling his own. He refers his mate Norm Marshall who was 'mentioned in dispatches'.

The transcript appears below the images.





Gallipoli
14.7.15 
Dear Mater, 
Many thanks for '14' of 10-6-15 also enclosures. They come through much quicker now which is a good thing. Also I've had two from Thomas Webb and Co notifying the dispatch of parcels. I hope they arrive. A lot of the things sent to various fellows haven't come to hand but I expect they will be along alright. 
I've had 3 parcels of socks from Aunt May since I came back. 
Things have been much the same here since I last wrote though Abdul has been a lot more generous with his shells the last few days, though the casualties are very slight. He's sending a few over now, the 'Iron Ration' the boys call it. The little ones, 15 pounders, etc are alright and the luck would have to be rotten to get hit by one of them, but the 6" are a bit of a strain on the nerves. They send up great showers of earth, clods as big as a football sometimes with a few bits of the shell itself, which spread over a pretty big area. We nearly always have time to sprint for the shelter of a 'dug out' or high part of the trench and if we do get hit it doesn't do much harm. 
We have been issued with respirators and always carry them with us in case Abdul sends us gas though he hasn't done so yet and I don't think he will. He's played the game pretty straight so far and looks as if he was going to continue in the straight and narrow way.
I have had a letter from Aunt May every mail since I've been back and I also hear pretty regularly from Dave. I got a letter from Marion Montgomery addressed by you this mail. Also an Australasian and Referee from Pater. Please thank him. You people can hardly imagine how eagerly we all look forward to getting the papers and letters from Australia. We also sometimes get English papers though of course they do not interest us the same as the home news, but are very welcome as they give us something to read. 
Have you noticed any improvement in my letter-writing? I've been censoring the Company's letters lately and am picking up a few tips. Some of the letters are most amusing, one chap sent a p.c. home and all he put on it was "Dear --, I'm alright, hope you're alright, so that's alright. Good night' -- signed. 
There is an issue of tobacco once a week, every man gets a packet of two of cigarettes and a couple of ounces of tobacco and also some cigarette papers. The cigarettes are soon finished and then they have to roll their own with the papers. You would laugh to see some of Melbourne's best young men with a hand-made cigarette in their mouths. Of course, some of them are quite expert by now, but others are not so lucky. I seldom use cigarettes and don't have to roll them because if I did I don't know how I'd get on as I'm no good at all and after wasting two or three papers and a lot of tobacco I can only manage to manufacture a sort of parcel which only lasts about two whiffs. 
I don't think I mentioned before that several of old 'F' company have been 'mentioned in dispatches', including Norm Marshall. and Alf Desham, who got his commission before leaving Broadmeadows. If the facts of all the great things that have been done, especially during the first week, could be known a new medal would have to be struck. 
Colonel Wanliss is acting Brigadier at present. I believe Colonel McCay has been made a General and given the new Division which is in Egypt.  
I can't think of anything else this week. I've written four or five times since I got back. My love to Aunt Puff, who by the way hasn't written though she has owed me a letter for over a year, Uncle Trubs and Pater, also remember me to anyone you see that I know. Jim B is alright and all the other boys here, who always wish to be remembered to you. 
Yours lovingly, 
Athol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...