Sunday 26 July 2015

Letter - 26 July 1915 - Transfer to 'B' company temporarily, the plum pudding bomb

Athol writes to his mother in Melbourne. He has now received all the missing letters. She also gifts him some Huddart Parker shares and a watch. Theprevious watch was destroyed on 25 April when he was injured in the arm during the Landings.



Dear Mater, 
I have now got all your letters as I got 5,6,7,8,9 about a week ago for which many thanks. I got 17 all in a batch. Also many thanks for the H.P shares and watch. Miss Adamson of Melbourne has twice written to me and also sent me a patent cigarette lighter, which was very kind. I wrote her and thanked her but you might also do so for me. 
There has been nothing of note here lately. We rather expected the Turks to attack last week but nothing came of it. They have developed a new diversion in the form of a mortar which throws a big round bomb which we call the 'plum pudding'. One of our planes dropped a bomb over where it is supposed to be about an hour ago though I don't suppose he hit it. 
I have been put in 'B' company temporarily as second in command though I hope to be put in 'D' again when one of the more senior men come back. 
I don't know if I told you that I got one parcel from B&N with shirt, tie, tobacco and handkerchiefs which were A1. I am hoping that the one with the singlets comes along as clean things are few and far between. I've been quite well and though the life here is very monotonous it's not bad and we manage to raised a bit of fun one way and another. Jim B and Norm Marshall are still A1. Sperry Hill hasn't come back yet, though I expect he will be soon. 
I'm sorry but I don't seem to be in a letter writing mood. I expect we'll get a mail this week and I'll make a better attempt at answering your next. 
Love to Aunt Puff, Trubs and Pater also all enquiring friends,
Yours lovingly,
Athol

NOTE: Athol and his three brothers were very close to their mother's sisters known as Aunt Puff and Aunt May. Puff (Florence Parker) married Truby Williams and in his letters, this uncle is referred to as Trubs. Neither Aunt Puff nor Aunt May had children of their own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...