Wednesday 19 October 2016

Letter - 19 October 1916 - flight up the Nile

Athol writes home to his step-father, Guy Sherwood. Athol writes Guy about his trip with pilot Lt Jones up the Nile on a reconnaissance mission. Athol thinks that there will not be much need for 'A' Flight at Sherika for too much longer as there is not much enemy activity about.




Sherika
Egypt
19.10.16

Dear Pater,

Two of your letters arrived in the last mail, 17.8.16 and 22.8.16 for which many thanks.

Sorry they put you out of your job, but I should think that a spell wouldn't do you any harm. I wouldn't mind a month in Melbourne as a common or garden order civilian.

Had a trip up the Nile a week or so ago. About 200 miles. Jones, one of our pilots, and I went up and two other pilots brought machines from Cairo. Jones and I did the first reconnaissance and one of the others did the second. Then they flew back to Cairo and Jones and I came back here per train. We were away six days which made quite a good break.

This show looks as if it was about finished so perhaps we will get away to somewhere where there is more doing.

Bad luck for W.J.A .... I met him in Cairo nearly a year ago. He was a reinforcement to the 2nd Brigade Infantry. I suppose things are pretty slow in the H.P. [Huddart Parker] office. If you go there remember me to Messrs Hughes, Whelan, Joy, as well as the heads. Cheerio.

Yours very sincerely,

Athol G. Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...