Saturday 1 October 2016

Letter - 1 October 1916 - Visit to Cairo

Athol writes home to mother. He is in Cairo staying at the Grand Continental Hotel and collecting some supplies for the mess.







1.10.1916
Dear Mater,

Many thanks for your letter August 8th also for two parcels of clothes, 2 of socks, 1 mosquito net and three of food, and a lot of papers etc. I'm writing this with the new pen.

I'm in Cairo for the weekend to get some things for our mess. Had a rotten trip down - full train and no sleeper or dining car. Left Sherika at 10am Friday and got the express at 9pm landing here at 7am Saturday.

I've had two or three letters from Pater lately. He seems to like his new job. Had a letter from Aunt May last mail written in May and properly addressed too. I expect there will be some letters waiting for me when I get back to Sherika.

I have been out this morning trying to get some local colour on the camera but the morning is a bad time as the place is asleep. I think I'll go to the zoo this afternoon as it's the prettiest place around here.

This is an awful hole to be in solo. It wasn't so bad when the Australian Division was here as there was always someone one knew about. Nearly everyone that can goes to Alexandria during the summer and so there are very few staying here or Shepheards at present.

I've got over 50 hours flying in now and as a new observer came to us the other day there is a chance of getting away soon I hope.

My love to Pater and the Aunts and anyone I know.

Yours lovingly,

Athol


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...