Thursday 25 February 2016

Letter - 25 February 1916 - received 36 parcels

Athol writes home to mother. He collects 36 parcels from the Post Office which filled a motor car 'top high'. The 2nd Camel Company is sent to the Western Frontier. A new commanding officer, a captain, is put in charge of the Company which is to be the first into action.

Note that it appears that Athol also received Adah's letters numbered 26, 37 and 28 (top left hand corner of envelope) probably after sealing the envelope.






Aust. Camel Corps
Intermediate Base
Cairo
25-2-16

Mater mine,

Three letters and over twenty parcels to thank you for. Letters Oct 19th, Dec 20th and 28th. Parcels, 11 from Webbs London, a pair of field glasses and electric torch, crackers, and about 8 of clothes etc. A good many were in a sadly damaged condition but the contents were A1. There were also 8 lots of provisions.

I got a ring from the PO this morning to say they had over 30 parcels for me and I took my batman in and there were 36 whole parcels and we assessed the debris at 4 more. The Macintosh and gum boots arrived and the usual others. It took a motor car loaded top high to get home. There were two from Mrs Larking, one from Aunt Puff, two or three from Aunt May, and the rest from Mrs S. They arrived in the nick of time because No2 Company moves tomorrow to the Western Frontier. Unfortunately, I'm not officer commanding because they put in a captain to take charge. I take it from what our CO said that this is not because of any inability on my part, but as we were the first to move and there were senior officers in the corps .... But its tough after doing the donkey work.

I like the little photo you sent me better than the two in the writing case. 

[I think the little portrait photo he is referring to is the image shown at Blog post dated 14 Sept 2015 post: http://notmentionedindispatches.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/portrait-of-mother-taken-to-front.html - it is the most handsome portait of his mother and pocket-sized].

We are the first company to get a job which is a bit of a feather in our cap as No.1 has had nearly a fortnight longer than us. And don't forget .......  A.G.A. has been running No2 since the formation. 

It's about 12:30pm so I'll turn in and get an early start.... Love to Pater and any enquiring friends.

Yours lovingly,

Athol G Adams

I'm sending back the tickets to check....








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...