Wednesday 27 May 2015

Letter - 27 May 1915 - Landing at Gallipoli and Battle of Krithia

This is the full text of the letter which Athol sent home to his mother from hospital in Alexandria, Egypt. It briefly describes being shot twice during the famous landing at Anzac Cove. After recovering from these injuries he then re-joined his 5th Battalion and was again wounded (twice more) during the early stages of the Battle of Krithia (8 May 1915).

I have referred to this letter in earlier blog posts. I post the full text today as it is 100-years since it was written.

I have added some dates and other comments embedded in text of the letter (not italics) to assist the reader.






No.17 General Hospital
Ramleh
Alexandria
27.5.15

"Dear Mater,

"Many thanks for your cable which I got on the 18th (May) about 9pm. I've been here since the 16th (May) and am quite all right. I'm going into a convalescent home tomorrow. That means boarding out at a private house.

"I got hit on April 25th (Landing at Anzac Cove on Anzac Day) the first day we landed, soon after getting ashore. I got one through the upper arm and about 1/2 an hour afterwards got another on the wrist watch which smashed the watch and put my left hand out of action temporarily. I then left the line and went down to the beach where I was sent aboard the 'Clan Macgillvray'. I came down here in her and reached here on Thursday night (29 April).

"Six of us then went on board the 'Lutzgow' and returned to Gallipoli leaving on Sunday evening (2 May). I reported back to the Battalion on Wednesday evening (5 May). They had just come out of the trenches and that night we left for the southern part of the Peninsular in mine sweepers.

"On Saturday  evening (8 May) we got orders to form a new firing line and while we were going up I got hit again. This time in the right thigh, a clean hit right through. I couldn't walk and while I was being taken back I got another in the right lower arm. The bullet hit a man who was helping me and broke his arm and went into me and stayed in my wrist. I was taken on board the 'Guildford Castle' a fine hospital ship where we had A1 treatment on Monday afternoon (10 May) and came down on her (to Alexandria, Egypt). They took the bullet out under gas. I'll send it out and I think you had better give it to Bill (nickname of his eldest brother, Arthur Parker Adams) to go on his watch chain with that bit of his knee.
 "I previously sent my wrist watch (damaged during the landing at ANZAC Cove on 25 April) and a Turkish bullet which was in my haversack (acquired also on 25 April). I hope you get them alright. All the wounds have healed up wonderfully and I'll be as good as ever in a few days when the stiffness gets out of my leg.
"Norm Marshall has won his commission as have about 8 others. It is a nice climate up there. Pretty warm with cold nights though I suppose it will get hotter soon
"There has been a mix up with our letters and I haven't had any since about April 20th. We're not allowed to say anything about operations or movements so there is no news."
"My love to all,
"Yours lovingly, Athol"




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...