Friday 8 May 2015

8 May 1915 - Injured in the Battle of Krithia - casualty form

From the Australian National Archives service records  'Casualty Form' (image below) we know Lieut A.G. Adams was wounded (second occasion) on 8 May 1915 (the fifth item on the pink sheet below).

On the next line the Army notes that he was embarked on the Guildford Castle hospital ship with (GSW) gunshot wounds to his right thigh and right forearm. He was wounded probably between 5:30pm and 6:30pm on 8 May (see 8 May blog post). During that hour the 2nd Brigade suffered 1,000 casualties (about a third of its strength). Athol was in transit for about 2 days, as a stretcher case being carried from the front line, say,  6:30pm on 8 May to the hospital ship where he was embarked on the afternoon of 10 May. One of the many problems encountered on the Peninsular was getting the injured men to adequate medical help quickly.

He was on board the Guildford Castle from 10-15 May 1915 (see records below).

On the following line Athol is listed as being admitted to hospital at Alexandria, Egypt, on 16 May. They took the bullet out whilst Athol was in Alexandria (about a week after he was shot). He was later transferred to Glymenpoule, Alexandria, on 28 May, for convalescence.


Service records held at Australian National Archives.

In Athol's letter home written on 27 May 1915 he gives a brief account of these injuries. I continue the transcript from the last blog post.




"....On Saturday  evening (8 May) we got orders to form a new firing line and while we were going up I got hit again. This time in the right thigh, a clean hit right through. I couldn't walk and while I was being taken back I got another in the right lower arm. The bullet hit a man who was helping me and broke his arm and went into me and stayed in my wrist. I was taken on board the 'Guildford Castle' a fine hospital ship where we had A1 treatment on Monday afternoon (10 May) and came down on her (to Alexandria, Egypt). They took the bullet out under gas. I'll send it out and I think you had better give it to Bill (nickname of his eldest brother, Arthur Parker Adams) to go on his watch chain with that bit of his knee. 
"I previously sent my wrist watch (damaged during the landing at ANZAC Cover on 25 April) and a Turkish bullet which was in my haversack (acquired also on 25 April). I hope you get them alright. All the wounds have healed up wonderfully and I'll be as good as ever in a few days when the stiffness gets out of my leg. 
"Norm Marshall has won his commission as have about 8 others. It is a nice climate up there. Pretty warm with cold nights though I suppose it will get hotter soon. 
"There has been a mix up with our letters and I haven't had any since about April 20th. We're not allowed to say anything about operations or movements so there is no news.  
"My love to all,
"Yours lovingly, Athol"

2 comments:

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...