Friday 24 February 2017

Much later - Photograph and letter Harold O. Smith

Harold O. Smith, who appears to have served with Athol at Aboukir at the School of Military Aeronautics, wrote this thoughtful letter in March 1920 - three years after Athol was killed. I do not have a copy of this letter, but found it with the National Archives of Australian among Athol's Service Record. A copy of this letter and the accompanying photograph must have been sent to Athol's mother as I have the photograph he refers to in my records. The photograph is annotated on the reverse and I include an image of this in this post. The Australian Army's Base Records reply is also provided.


72 Savernake Road
Hampstead
London NW3
March 13th 1920

To Officer in Base Records
Department of Defence, Melbourne, Australia.

Sir,
Re the Late Lieut. Athol Gladwyn Adams 5th Battalion AIF and Australian Air Force
I am sending herewith a photograph of the grave of the above mentioned officer, whom I believe was killed as the result of an aeroplane crash in Egypt, Feb 19th 1917, and who lies buried in Hadra Cemetery Alexandria. During my service with the 22nd Training Squadron Royal Air Force as a leading air-craftsman, 2 wreaths were periodically received, one from the Australian Welfare Fund, and the other from a Mrs Guy Sherwood and I had the privilege of taking the wreaths and, incidentally, tending the grave. On my last visit before returning home it occurred to me to snapshot the grave and have now had same enlarged and respectfully ask you to endeavour to send same to Mrs Guy Sherwood or failing, to the next of kin of Lieut A. G. Adams as I feel sure they may appreciate my action.

Hoping eventually to hear you have been successful.

I remain,
Yours respectfully,
Harold O. Smith



The photograph of Athol's Grave - dated about 1918.

The annotation on the reverse of the photograph.


The Army's reply to Mr Smith saying that they have forwarded the letter and photograph to Mrs Guy Sherwood as Athol's next-of-kin.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...