Monday 30 November 2015

Letter - 1 December 1915 - settling in a Maadi camp

Athol writes home to Mother. He meets up with some of the other expats and servicemen in the area. He starts French lessons with a group of others from Maadi Camp and says he is picking up some Arabic from the locals working around the Camp. They continue with their gardening efforts and he and the vet acquire pet canaries.






Maadi Camp
Cairo
1-12-15

Dear Mater

No letters so far but I've had two lots of chocolate from Webbs. I suppose I'll get a lot in a bunch very soon. I'm sorry I missed last mail but I had to go before a board re some .... for store just when I had got settle down to write and so I only got one or two away.

I had dinner with the Stewarts again last Saturday week. They are at Heliopolis now but came in to Shepheards. Dr Russell from Lockhart was there, also Norman Dale. Our vet was attached to one of the Light Horse Brigades and was here for some time during the first part of the year and so knows a good many people here. He introduced me to a few and also an Italian family at  ...... which is only about 10 mins in the tram from here. They do not speak English as do some of the others. So my French is getting a bit of a polish. Also 4 or 5 of us have French lessons 6 times a week from a Greek lady who lives just outside the camp. We started right from the beginning as some of them knew no French at all but its good practice for me and when we get on a bit it will be alright. We've had 4 lessons so far and she seems pretty good.

I've also met a very nice Greek family in Cairo but they speak fluent English. I think I told you that we have 'walads' or native boys to do odd jobs and water the gardens around our tents. One of our boys (we have two) speaks good English and the other a little and I'm picking up a bit of Arab.

I'm enclosing a photo (I do not have this in my collection) one of the men took one day when I was registering all the natives employed in our lines. The little one in white with his back to the camera is Suliman Labbeh or 'Jack Jones' and the one behind me is Hassaneen. Jack Jones we call the official interpreter and Hassaneen is the Sergeant Walad. Our lines look A.1 now as we have white stones laid round the tents and along the paths, and maize, barley and various native grasses etc between and round the tents. The Vet has a canary and two gold finches and I had two canaries but one got out last night.

It has been quite cold lately but today is alright. I saw a a paper of October 18 today giving the opening of .... Convalescent Hospital. It seems to have been a fine voluntary effort. I can't think of any news.

My love to Aunt Puff and Pater.

Remember me to all enquiring friends

Yours lovingly

Athol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...