Wednesday 28 December 2016

Last Letter - 28 December 1916 - Athol starts pilot training at Aboukir

Athol writes home to mother. He thanks her for the Christmas gifts and her cable. He has a few day's leave in Port Said and Alexandria. He starts his pilots' training course at the No.3 School of Military Aeronautics at Aboukir, near Alexandria.

This is Athol's last letter. However, I will continue to make posts to the blog and include some of Athol's photos and use other material to follow his story until February 1917.




No 3 School Military Aeronautics
Aboukir
28.12.16

Dear Mater,

I have quite a list to thank you for this time. Letter 64, Xmas cable, Webbs parcel, 1 parcel clothing, 2 of chocolate, 5 lots of papers.

I left the Squadron on 18th and got into Port Said on Tuesday 19th evening in order to met Tug Duffy on the Kanowina (sp?). She was a day late so I left Port Said and came to Alexandria reporting on 22nd. Pottered about all 23rd and then got leave until 27th as the course hadn't started. So had Xmas in Alexandria. Played tennis in the morning, golf after lunch, billyards after tea and had a dance in the hotel after dinner.

This course lasts a fortnight. It takes a couple of months in England. Then if we pass we go to Heliopolis or 'Ismailia' to fly Maurice Farmans then come back here for Avros and B.Es. The first fortnight is by far the worst and I'll have to work pretty hard. I haven't got today's notes written up quite yet.

Tug Duffy came out to see me here last Saturday as his boat was in that day.

My love to Aunts and Pater,

Yours lovingly,

Athol.

PS Same address.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...