Saturday 6 August 2016

Letter - 6 August 1916 - total of 12hrs and 55 minutes in the air

Athol writes home to mother. He receives a parcel of socks. His flying hours total 12 hours and 55 minutes. Athol hopes to sit his tests for Observer Wings soon. And along with two others from his unit, he visits a ruined temple 8 miles from Sherika.





Sherika
Kharga Oasis
6.8.16
Dear Mater

Many thanks for parcel of socks 15.5.16 also lot of Vermin Killer which arrived yesterday. I don't know if I thanked you for your letters 48 & 49. I have an idea I did but, as I only keep letters until I am sure I have the sequence and no gaps, or until they are answered, I don't seem to have done so. These letters came in reverse order from 51, so perhaps that accounts for it.

I have now got 12 hours 55 minutes in the air and will shortly do my tests for Observers Wing then it is only a matter of a few months before I go to a school for my pilots wings. Perhaps VHA (Valentine Harold Adams, Athol's elder brother) will get through first because in England one can do the pilots course without being an observer.

Now please forget all about stars promotion etc. If I'm not worrying I don't think you have any grouch. At present I'm not considering keeping in the Army after the war unless they offer me something out of the way, so what difference does a star or two matter. I'm getting good experience all the time and anyway I don't think I've ever been a marvellous success as an officer, because I hate grousing and have always followed the line of least resistance all my short life. All of which you probably know. Good officers don't get from one unit to another as easily as I've done.

Yesterday ??, one of the pilots, Hanmer, one of the observers, and I went down the railway line about eight miles and got dropped at a ruined Temple of Hibis, had a look round, took some photos and bought 4 water melons and had a feed of fresh dates and came home.

I have bought a camera and so you will be getting some pictures soon I expect.

Love to Pater and Aunt Puff also any E.F. (enquiring friends).

Yours lovingly,

Athol.
Temple of Hibis today




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...