Sunday 22 May 2016

Letter - 22 May 1916 - more parcels and off on another patrol

Athol writes home to mother. More parcels arrive and a batch of socks is distributed amongst the men.



Sollum
22-5-16

Dear Mater,

I sent you a P.C. of our Company about 3 days ago. It's not very good. I got back last Wednesday evening. Did about 120 miles and saw nothing. Had a look at several wells and found good water in several. We have a Capt here now*. Malesh.

I'm off on patrol again next Sunday, for another five days.

The weather has been A1 lately though a bit windy. I'm in the water as much as possible and am getting on at diving. Tweedie the Intelligence Officer here is A1 and I'm getting points from him. Henley M.P. was here while I was away and brought the men more gifts. Also I had a bundle of socks from you and gave them out to the men. Also 4 'Australasians' for which many thanks. The mail is going out today, an unexpected one so I'm making this ......, though there is really nothing to tell. 

Love to Puff and Pater,

Yours lovingly,

Athol G Adams

*    The Captain would have been Capt Dyott who was sent to take over command from Athol as Athol was not senior enough (having just turned 21 years of age) nor did he have sufficient rank for this leadership position.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...