Wednesday 13 January 2016

Letter - 17 January 1916 - lots and lots of parcels

Athol sends a letter home to Mother in Melbourne. He thanks her for more and more parcels which ended up in Zeitoun (the New Zealand camp), the Gallipoli peninsular and also to Athol's latest camp at Tel-el Kabir.





Dear Mater,

Some letters at last. For Nos 29.31.33.34 many thanks also Xmas cable which I got on New Years Day while I was doing a Divisional Guard on the Railway Station. Also a cable re cases which I replied to. The refreshment stall seems to be a huge success. [This is probably a reference to the ANZAC buffet in which Adah was a keen volunteer and supporter - see more at: http://notmentionedindispatches.blogspot.com.au/p/the-home-front-adah-emily-sherwood.html ]

Norm Marshall is not a Captain yet but is away sick. (Norm Marshall was soon to be transferred to one of the newly formed units).

Regarding parcels, D Company has been getting a lot. One of the big cases arrived safely and I can let you know they are greatly appreciated. I collared a parcel of scarves and one of socks for the Transports and today am putting in a return of deficiencies - socks were nil. Captain Levy tells me he acknowledges the parcels so I suppose he has done so. My own parcels, I told you of the last lot but I believe two that went to Anzac after I left were opened and distributed among the other officers which was quite right. Yesterday I received a letter from a P.O. at Zeitoun near Cairo saying they had about 30 parcels for me and didn't know my place of abode so that lot ought to bring me up to date. Please don't send any more till we start active service again as I won't have enough space to put them all at the rate they are coming now.

The Battalion landed here on the 7th (Jan) and we have been working hard ever since. I'm making a lot of changes in the Transport and have sent my men back to their companies and so the rest are shaking themselves up a lot. They are real good lot but the chap who had them before me wasn't much good as a disciplinarian and allowed them to be a bit slack.

Please tell Pater I got several papers from him and thank him for me. Also the chocolate has come as regularly as the other parcels so ?? & Co are doing their job alright.

Tell Pater that this isn't his turn, he can do more good in Australia giving the young ideas, instruction. I will try and write to both he and Bill (that's A.P Adams his eldest brother) tomorrow. I had a letter from Mrs Rickards who seems pleased with the things that you sent her.

Please don't worry about handkerchiefs. I've got a good many that you have sent me. I think I told you I met WJA (??) in Cairo., he has a mo. 

I'm going to drop Jim Borrowman a line if I get a chance but in the meantime please remember me to him also the family. I met Harold Luxton * the other day he is in the 11th Battery of the 2nd Division. Also the chap fro B&N's sock department who is a gunner.

I don't know if I told you I've got a gold crown on one of my lower left molars. I broke the tooth chewing maize. I'm glad the feathers were alright because I'm no judge of poultry. Talking of poultry, please congratulate Harold (the 3rd of the 3 Adams boys) on his engagement, though I don't know the lady. 

The Battalion has been out doing a night march but is coming in now so I'll knock off there. It will be too late to write when they come in. 

Love to Pater and Puff (Athol's aunt Florence), also all enquiring friends,

Yours lovingly,

Athol

NOTES

*  Harold Luxton also attended Melbourne Grammar School. He was a keen sportsman and would have been in the same year as Athol's eldest brother, Bill (A.P.Adams). Like Athol he also served in the Flying Corps. After the war he became a continued to run a large family-owned hardware buiness. He was later the Lord Mayor of Melbourne an MP and racehorse owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...