Friday 2 October 2015

Letter - 2 October 915 - enteritis, admitted - No3 Australian General Hospital, Alexandria

Athol writes home to Mother.

He returns to Alexandria in Egypt after being diagnosed with enteritis (a stomach condition acquired through unsanitary conditions including contaminated food and water) and spending a few days in the No.3 Australian General Hospital in Lemnos. He says there is really nothing the matter except that he is a 'bit run down'. He meets up again with the kind Rickards family.





Union Club
Alexandria, Egypt
2.10.15

Dear Mater,

Once more in Alex. I had a very slight attack of enteritis and after a few days in hospital at Lemnos, in No.3 Australia General Hospital, they shipped me down here for a bit of a change. There's really nothing the matter only a bit run down and as the Battalion is not in the firing line a holiday will not do any harm.

I met Mr Rickards this morning and went out to lunch at his place. They said they had a letter from you. 

I made inquiries for Capt Carter and found that he had been sent to England last week with enteric. Sperry Hill is here having arrived from hospital in Malta a day or two ago. He asked to be remembered to you.

It is pretty hot here since I arrived, last Thursday, though I hear that it is a kind of hot spell as it has been a lot cooler.

I suppose I won't get any letters for a bit though I may be able to stop them here.

I can't think of any news.

Love to Aunt Puff and Pater

Yours lovingly,

Athol.

P.S. excuse writing, first time I've used a pen for nearly 4 months.



2 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and
    sources back to your webpage? My blog site is in the exact same area of interest as yours
    and my users would certainly benefit from some of the information you provide
    here. Please let me know if this okay with you.
    Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my web page Tap Titans Hack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback. You are most welcome to quote from my blog and include the reference. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...