Monday 14 September 2015

Letter - 15 September 1915 - arrived safely back at Lemnos

Athol writes home to Mother.

Athol and the rest of the 5th Battalion arrive safely back at Lemnos Island for rest and reorganization. More parcels arrive from his mother and this time he is inundated with towels rather than socks. As usual, Athol distributes some of these supplies to the other chaps. Athol notes some interesting vessels in the harbour including Lord Brassey's yacht, 'Sunbeam'. Brassey was Governor of Victoria from 1895-1900. He describes some souvenirs acquired on the peninsular including a Turkish bomb, a Turkish shell nose-cap and the case of a Japanese mortar gun cartridge. Athol says in the letter that he intends to ship these souvenirs back to Australia. Fortunately I do not have them in my collection.



Lemnos Island
15/9/15

Dear Mater,

Many thanks for your letter of July 27th also another parcel of clothes etc. There is lots of water here, salt and fresh both and facilities for bathing and washing, though unfortunately the bay is very shallow just here. I'm afraid I can't use two towels a week. If you send a bundle once a month or 6 weeks it would be plenty as I now have a big supply on hand after giving some of the other chaps things. We are here for rest and reorganization and expect to be here at least a month before we have another go at Abdul.

The harbour here is full of shipping, transports, store-ships, gunboats of every description and hospital boats. The great Cunarder the 'Aquitania' (image below) is one of the latter and she looks a sight with four yellow funnels, red crosses and green band on her great white sides. Also Lord Brassey's yacht (image below) is a hospital boat and the contrast is remarkable. I took a stroll through a couple of the villages here, quaint little places but quite clean.

The first chance I get I'll send along a Turkish bomb the nose cap of a Turkish 75mm shell, and the case of a Japanese mortor un cartridge. But please don't put my name on them and exhibit them. I hope you didn't do that with my watch in Glen's on Australia Day or I'll be ashamed to come home at the finish of this show. 

No news so good bye. Love to Aunt Puff and Pater. Also anyone I know.

Yours lovingly,

Athol

HMVS Cerberus and Lord Brassey's 48 metre private steam yacht, Sunbeam
Brassey, an Englishman, was Governor of Victoria from 1895-1900.

HMHS Aquitania (left) with an unidentified hospital ship tied up alongside and HMT Olympic (stern) 
seen in the Mediterranean during World War 1



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...