Friday 12 June 2015

Letter - 12 June 1915 - Convalescence

Athol writes to his mother at home in Melbourne and encloses the bullet which was extracted from his wrist (thankfully I do not have the item in my archives). Athol has recovered from his four injuries and is discharged to return to service in the Dardenelles. He spent his convalescence with a Mr and Mrs Rickards in Alexandria and put on quite a bit of weight whilst under their care.  He has not heard anything from home since late April and makes enquiries about his brothers farming in the Riverina.







Union Club

Alexandria
Egypt
12-6-15
Dear Mater
 
I'm going back to the Dardanelles tomorrow morning. I got my discharge from the hospital on Thursday and have been waiting for a boat since. My leg is quite well now and I can walk A1. There is no after effect at all. 
The people I'm staying with have been very good to me. Mr and Mrs Rickards, Sporting Club, Alexandria, is the address. Mr Rickards took my photo yesterday. I'll get him to send you one if they're any good. 
There is really no news at all. I've just been pottering about having a good old loaf. I'm as fat as anything and will be able to live like the camel on his hump for quite a time. I weighed myself two days ago 1/2lb over 12 stone (about 76kg). I reckon my clothes won't be much good to me when I get home if I go on at this rate. 
I am enclosing the bullet out of my wrist. I've been meaning to send it everyday but have kept putting it off. 
I have spent a couple of afternoons with Mrs John Lang, she said she would write to you.
I hear the drought has broken. I hope the boys (older brothers Arthur Parker Adams and Valentine Harold Adams) have a better season this year.
 
I haven't had any letters since before we landed in Gallipoli (25 April). I'll probably find some waiting for me up there when I get back. Hope so anyway. 
My love to all enquiring friends.
Yours lovingly
Athol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...