Friday 3 April 2015

Letter - 29 March 1914 - training for attack and defence - Sir Ian Hamilton

A.G. Adams writes to his mother about the continuing training which seems to be relentless. The unit was inspected by Sir Ian Hamilton. He meets a family friend, Keith Officer, who was serving in the 3rd Light Horse Brigade. The desert climate means that it is cold at night and hot and dusty with flies in the day.

The transcript appears below.




Dear Mater,
I've got a small bundle of letters here. I don't know whether I've acknowledged them all or not. Dated Jan 17, 24, 31 and Feb 14.
I seem to lose count of the days here. We meander on as from one day to another with very little to remember as different.
Last week we were out all Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights on Divisional Training. Tuesday in defence and the other two nights in attack. On Thursday I was orderly officer so I had a pretty strenuous time.
This morning we were inspected by Sir Ian Hamilton and marched past him afterwards.
Please tell Pater I've got two or three 'Referees' and a couple of 'Bulletins' and thank him for me.
I had mess the other evening with Keith Officer. He has one star imp in the Brigade ... Res of the 3rd Light Horse Bde. They have been hereabout a month now.
I believe we have two night stints this week. We're absolutely fed up with them. It's beastly cold and when we try to get some sleep the flies, dust and heat of the day are not conclusive to slumber.
I really can't think of anything else so please excuse this scrawl. Please remember me to Pater and all enquiring friends.
Yours lovingly
Athol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...