Thursday 29 January 2015

Letter - 1 February 1915 - application for commission and endless training

The continual rigorous training takes its toll on the ANZAC troops. The New Zealanders see action. Athol's application for a commission in the English Army is rejected.

A transcript of the text appears below.






Dear Mater,

I have to thank you for a P.C. 30/11/14. We still get our letters in a column of lumps, regardless of date and time of posting at your end.

The New Zealanders have been in action on the Suez I believe, but of course we haven't had anything so dangerous. We might get hurt.

I had a notification about the English Commission a day or two ago. Refused with thanks as they applicant is not a 'citizen force' officer and the position is only open to these. I should have thought Major H. would have found that out at the time, or that the people at HQ would have noticed the discrepancy. I think they were wary of appointing me and then losing me to the Imperial Army. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly sure of getting one now.

We're all getting fed up with this eternal training and there is a great deal of discontent among the troops. As a matter of fact there has been far too much work which in this climate knocks too much out of everyone. The number of men and officers off parade through sickness, which in many cases is purely 'run down', is rather a big item. Captain Carter is in Mena House, Captain Flockhart also, while there are about four of the other officers of the Battalion on 'light duties'.We have 14 in Hospital in the Company and about 8 or so 'light duties'.

They are beginning to wake up at H.Q. for in today's orders they are going to give one whole holiday a week. No work on Sundays for church parade, and the work limited to 40 hours per week or 8 hours per day on the 5 work days.

The second contingent has arrived and they are sending home some of the medically unfit.

I'm A1 myself but a bit on the 'fed up' side. Everybody is the same and short temper is the prevailing rule, though of course there are the wonderful few who are always happy. 

I expect after a week or so on the new program things will be happier. I can feel my own spirits rising at the thought of the lighter prospects already.

This is a dismal kind of a screed but after a days work in the field and then a dose of office work on is apt to be grousy. I'll knock off now and turn in.

Remember me to Pater and all inquiring friends.

With love, Athol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...