Thursday 27 November 2014

Postcard - undated - probably November 1914

This postcard seems to be written from the H.M.A.T. Orvieto on the way to Colombo.

A. G. Adams mentions that the weather is hot and details some of the routine of a soldier's life on board a convoy ship.




Dear Mater,

The fine weather still continues. It has not been so very hot though we have had a following wind. 

Colonel Ryan has been very solicitous of my welfare and always asks how I am getting on. We have not had much work since getting into the hot weather. We work from 9 o'c until 11:30, and from 2 till 3. Then the N.C.Os have a lecture until 4 and drill until 4:30. Sometimes we have the lecture from 8pm to 9. And of course don't get the 3 to 4 .....

We're not allowed to give dates or places or particulars of anything so it is pretty difficult to write anything that has to pass the censor.

 I'm putting on weight fast. In fact I'm as fat as butter. Norm Marshall sends kind regards. I'll send a letter closed but it will be held back a week or so.

Love
Athol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...