Tuesday 26 August 2014

The Memorial Bracelet

The Memorial Bracelet

On the left is A.G. Adams (with observer wing), and on the right, his elder brother V. H. Adams (with his pilot's wings).
They were both killed in 1917.
The frames clip together and are held on a golden bracelet worn like a wristwatch. It is understood that this was commissioned by the boys' mother, A.E Sherwood, and worn by her.

When closed, the bracelet looks like this:

The inscription on this side of portaits' case:
"67th Squadron R.F.C. Athol 19.2.17 He served - he died"

The 67th Squadron was renamed the 1st Australian Flying Corps.

The reverse of the case has a similar inscription for V. H. Adams.
"70th Squadron R.F.C. Harold 14.5.1917 Per ardua ad astra"



My thanks to H. Clapham and A. P. Clapham for sharing this family treasure, and to Nick Robinson for the fine photography. www.creativeproof.com.au

4 comments:

  1. Good day I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Aol for something else, Nonetheless I am
    here now and would just like to say thanks for a incredible post and a
    all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep
    up the superb job.

    my web blog: burial cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following the blog and your interest in Athol.

      Delete
  2. Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this
    board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to provide one thing again and help others like you helped me.


    Look at my site Obituary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the feedback and your interest in the Blog.

    ReplyDelete

I would be delighted if you would like to share your thoughts...